Director of Development Job Description
Assistance Dogs of the West (ADW) builds successful working partnerships between clients and dogs that empower people and open doors to new opportunities. ADW’s compassionate training approach facilitates the deepest possible bond between humans and animals, and models best practices in social-relationship interactions.
Position Title: Director of Development
Position Type: Full time, exempt
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
Reports to: CEO/President
As a seasoned fundraising professional with a proven track record of success, the Director of Development will serve as a member of the Leadership Team for Assistance Dogs of the West, overseeing all fundraising functions. The Director of Development will be responsible for raising major donor revenue and for establishing and maintaining long-term, productive relationships with donors, business and corporate entities, philanthropic institutions and government funding agencies. The candidate must have a solid knowledge of planned giving, legacy opportunities and bequests.
In partnership with the CEO/President and Board of Directors, the Director of Development will design, lead and implement a sustainable development strategy encompassing multiple channels to increase philanthropic revenue from a diverse portfolio of local and national supporters.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: developing robust and diverse funding strategies; engaging emerging research and community opportunities, and potential innovations; expanding ADW’s influence within the local and national community; attending all regular meetings of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
The essential functions listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed; the omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to be completed by the position.
- Support ADW’s mission, principles and core values
- Work with CEO/President and the Board to define future growth and vision for ADW
- Ensure financial stability and sustainability of existing and new programmatic activities
- Represent and act as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensure the implementation of programs, services and activities that meet the requirements of all grants and funding
- Ensure policies and procedures related to grant fulfillment
- Create and execute effective fundraising strategies for diverse revenue streams from individuals, foundations, businesses, corporations and government entities
This job operates in a professional office environment, canine training facilities, surrounding areas, client homes, agencies, communities and the Puppy Enrichment Center
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, exempt position consisting of approximately 40 hours of work per week. This position may require working weekends, evenings and holidays on an as needed basis.
Local travel, travel to Taos and Albuquerque, ADW program spaces and other public spaces is expected. Out-of-state travel may be required. Local travel is expected to be more frequent and occur on a weekly basis.
Education, Experience and Competencies
- BA in Business or Non-profit Management preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of professional fundraising experience demonstrating progression of fund-raising performance in nonprofit development roles
- Proven track record of creating and executing effective fundraising strategies for diverse revenue streams, with success in soliciting and closing gifts from individuals, foundations and corporations
- Demonstrated ability for handling multiple, complex fundraising initiatives simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Must have experience developing and managing multiple projects concurrently, involving Board members in participative design and implementation, developing and managing fundraising plan
- Must be comfortable working with dogs, donors, students, clients, volunteers, vendors, stakeholders and others having business with the company
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Must have a valid driver’s license in good standing and maintain current vehicle insurance.
Must be authorized to work in the United States
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Essential and marginal job duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with our without notice.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of ADW that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment without regard to the individual’s race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer), domestic partner status, marital status, disability, AIDS/HIV status, height, weight or any other protected group status as defined by law.
To apply: Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org